Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Laura Weber Malzahn

Do you remember what it felt like when you wanted something so badly with the one dreaded obstacle of your parents' “better” judgment in the way? But now, looking back, that thing, that event that you had planned; was it worth it? The mind of a teenager is one of development. It demonstrates the transition period from youth to the adult life. As this transition takes place, skills in decision-making become vital characteristics essential to this period in one’s life. Those long lectures pounded into your existence before you and your friends went out to see a movie and those “I told you so” moments when something did not go according to your perfect plan are what we all remember most about growing up.

A perfect scenario which displays the perfect role play goes something like this: A little girl, with her mother close by watch a very appealing pot simmering on a very hot stove, as they prepare dinner. The little girl wants to touch this very hot stove because she would like a taste of what is inside the pot. But as very few girls her age know, the stove will burn her, leaving her hurt and unsatisfied. Wisdom draws near as tiny fingers reach for desire. Mother, just in time, slaps her hand away and saves her from the fire. What the little one does not understand is that she has been saved from pain and scarring. Because she has been deprived of what she wants, instead of happily thanking her mom for saving her, she is driven to confusion and anger. She will not understand until she is older and wiser herself, that her mother slapped her hand away out of love.


My mom, Laura, has been my greatest friend since the day I was born. Although I have not always realized it, her intentions and desires for me and my life have been nothing but the best. There isn't one time in my life where my mother has put herself before me, or the rest of her children. 

My mom told me this story about the little girl and the stove, because I so often rebelled against her (what seemed at the time) harsh teachings. I did not understand why my mom forbid me from doing so many things growing up, until now. 

There are so many things in my life that I am so thankful for. One of them is the wisdom and discernment of my mother. I pray on a daily basis that I will one day be as wise as my mom. One day I may tell my daughter that there are far better choices than going to a party with low lifes and drunks. There is far more to life than rated R movies and puppy love romances. 

High school was a tough time for me. Had it not been for my mom, I believe that I would have made choices that do not reflect who I am as a person. The constant reminders that my mother instilled in my head, although at times seemed repetitive and annoying, kept me safe from the ways of the world.

My mother's relationship with Christ is one of the strongest that I know. The Holy Spirit enables her to make wise decisions and set positive examples for those around her. She soaks herself in the Word on a daily basis and because of that, is a shining light to everyone around her.

My mother inspires me because of who she is in Christ. Everything that she does is done out of the love she has found in Jesus. Her household is one of reverence and her children have been taught in the ways of the Lord. I only hope that mine will be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment